Multiple projects in the city are gearing up for site work which means the city's technician will be performing inspections every Friday.
Milfoil treatment in Pickerel Cove and Paugus Bay is underway using DASH (Diver Assisted Suction Harvesting) and NHDES approved herbicides.
The Granite United Way Day of Caring is September, 2018. The commission is looking for projects and volunteers. Please go to http://volunteernh.org/ -> HOW TO VOLUNTEER then search for the Laconia Conservation Commission. We will be posting opportunities in the coming week and always check back to see if there is any new opportunities after the Day of Caring.
April Through June
Native Habitat and Invasive Species Earth Day Event at the Transfer Station. - Contact the Laconia Planning Department to inquire about attending. The City and other governmental bodies in partnership with Waste Management host a wonderful and informational event at the Laconia Transfer Station. This is a great opportunity to meet the people who are always finding new ways to keep the spread of invasive vegetation down and learn how to identify and deal with invasive vegetation in your own back yard! This is open to anyone interested and a great activity for younger children.
June Through September
Volunteers are needed for water testing. Training for volunteers is provided. This is an excellent opportunity to make a difference! Contact the Conservation Department at 527-1264 ext. 262 or via email.
- Invasive species education day
Volunteers from the United Way Day Of Caring Program will work with Conservation Commission members on various City Cleanup Projects throughout the month!
- Conservation easement events to encourage property owner discussions considering future land protection
- Various lecture events
- Partner with organizations to create community enhancement projects to beautify blighted areas and create urban garden opportunities
Other Ongoing Projects
- Continue to educate other city departments on invasive species management
- Continue To Improve Stormwater Conditions and update drainage Infrastructure
- Enhance Conservation Commission Membership
- Rain Garden Stormwater projects
- Water Quality Testing
- Outreach to the public to educate and spread awareness about environmental issues and projects.