Sewer Connection/Discharge Permits

Sewer Connection permits are issued for new construction and for sewer service line replacements and repairs. The property owner, or the excavation contractor normally executes this permit. Sewer connections must be inspected by Public Works prior to back filling the trench. Sewer connection inspections need to be scheduled 24 hours in advance.

Additional Permits

Because the City of Laconia is connected to the State of NH-DES Winnipesaukee River Basin Program System (WRBP), the following additional permits may need to be submitted in conjunction with the standard City of Laconia Sewer Connection Permit.

Wastewater Discharge Permit Request (WDPR)

The WDPR (green form) is used for any proposed domestic wastewater connection of 50 population equivalents (5,000 gallons per day) or greater, and for the construction of an extension of the sewage collection system which discharges to the WRBP facility in Franklin. A WDPR is required when a sewer extension is proposed regardless if the sewer is publicly or privately owned, and regardless of the quantity of flow.

Industrial Wastewater Discharge Permit Request (IWDPR)

The IWDPR (blue form) is used for any proposed industrial wastewater discharge or to modify an existing industrial wastewater discharge. A IWDPR is required without regard to the quantity of flow.

Connection Permit Request (CPR)

The Connection Permit Request (pink form) is used to request a direct connection to any of the State owned interceptors.

Commercial Wastewater Discharge Permit Request (CWDPR)

The Winnipesaukee River Basin Program requires a permit to discharge commercial waste into the sewer system. Examples of discharges to be permitted the CWDPR are:

  • Auto and truck service facilities including car washes
  • Convenience stores with food preparation
  • Facilities or institutions with food preparation
  • Funeral Homes
  • Hospitals
  • Laboratories
  • Machine Shops
  • Marinas
  • Newspaper printing
  • Photo processing centers
  • Printing shops
  • Restaurants
  • Schools
  • Supermarkets


Public Works has a variety of documents and plans on file which may be of help to contractors in locating existing sewer service lines or laterals (stubs) to vacant lots for new construction.

Pertinent City Ordinances

Before you dig:

  • Notify the Department of Public Works by calling Dave Keets at 387-9016, and
  • Contact Dig Safe by calling (888)344-7233 or by visiting the Dig Safe website.